The best places to celebrate the royal wedding in Bristol (Sat May 19).
Whether you love the royals or not, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s nuptials this weekend provide the perfect excuse for a bit of a knees up! It’s going to be sunny this Saturday with highs of 19 degrees so why not take the family to one of these free and cheap celebrations in and around Bristol…
1. Little Miss Diva and I will be visiting Ashton Court where Artspace Lifespace will be taking over the mansion to host a free art exhibition with family-friendly activities from 11 to 4pm. You can view the royal nuptials on the big screen in the music room from 12noon and participate in an alternative wedding ceremony afterwards. Bring a picnic and dress to impress in your finest wedding clobber if you want to win the prize for best dressed. Click here for more information.
2. To celebrate Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding, Cabot Circus will be holding A Right Royal Party this Saturday from 11 ‘til 4pm. This family event will be fit for all your mini princes and princesses and there'll be crown-making, dress up and the chance to be snapped on the throne. Share your selfie to social media with the hashtag #CabotRoyalWedding to be in with the chance of winning a prize.
3. The South Gloucester Food Festival will be taking over the Bristol and Bath Science Park in Emersons Green this weekend. It’s free admission and the wedding will be screened on a giant screen outside where visitors can relax on the lawns and soak up the atmosphere, from 10am to 4pm.
4. The Fun Dog Show in Clutton, Bristol will have a Royal Wedding theme. The show opens at 11am with judging starting at midday. It’s fancy dress and there will be a BBQ, bouncy castle and stalls and it’s just £1 entry per class if you want to enter your pooch into any one of the rounds.
5. Head on over to the Keynsham Scout Hut for a Royal Wedding fete and BBQ with all proceeds going to MENCAP. It’s taking place from 12 to 4pm and there’ll be a bouncy castle, face painting, DJ and stalls.
6. Hop on a train to Beautiful Bath where there’s a free screening of the wedding at Walcott House from 12pm. Organisers are setting up a 5 metre screen and projector, so you won't have to worry about crowds blocking your view.
7. The Royal Oak on Gloucester Rd is a family-friendly pub that will be showing the event inside and out (weather permitting – but the forecast is looking good) with royal cocktails and a best hat competition from 11am.
8. Bethesda Community Arts Café will be hosting a Messy Royal Wedding where kids 11 and under can enjoy two hours of free arts and crafts. From 2:30 to 4:30pm.
Have I missed anything? Feel free to post your family-friendly events on the Broke in Bristol Facebook page. If you found this post useful please share it with your friends and don’t forget to like the Broke in Bristol Facebook page to never miss an update.